Monday, September 24, 2007

Mee Pok Test #1

I'm on the hunt for the most authentic mee pok sauce. This is experiment No. 1:

3 Tablespoons Pork Lard Oil
3 Tablespoons Roast Char Siew Sauce
1 Teaspoon Black Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoons light Soy Sauce




I went to Ranch 99 on Saturday and casually asked the butcher for pork fat. He gave me 5 pieces for 16 cents! So, I cut 1 slice to small bits and fry it until the oil is rendered and the bits are crispy.

Verdict: This sauce is more wanton mee than mee pok. It's on the sweeter side. I'm looking for something more spicy and tangy.

The search continues.
~Ray

2 comments:

tigerfish said...

maybe some tomato ketchup, and dark soy sauce and more black vinegar ?
More spice, it has to be that chili condiment!

j0s1e267 said...

I think skip the char siew sauce and add sambal chili and shallot oil.