Wednesday, March 5, 2008

All About Braising

Tonight is about moist cooking. Since I'm a big fan of rare meat, I always think it's a waste to slow cook the beef. I feel it masks the natural meat taste with lots of seasoning. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the overwhelming flavor of red wine. I do, however, enjoy Chinese braises (chicken, duck, pork) with soy sauce, cinnamon, star anise, garlic, and cloves. These dishes were nonetheless pretty awesome.

IMG_4665

Short ribs marinating in olive oil, garlic, and basil

IMG_4667

Beef stew

IMG_4668

Did you know there's milk in bolognese sauce?

IMG_4670

IMG_4672

Did you know the pork butt is actually a pig's shoulders?

IMG_4673

Back in the pot for more braising

IMG_4671

Someone put sugar in the ramekin, and poor Richard had no idea. This dish was still tasty, though.

IMG_4677

Braised short ribs with cumin. It was good, but needs to cook a few hours longer.

IMG_4678

Can you tell the difference?

IMG_4675

It's not the same stew as the one above. I have no idea.

~Ray

No comments: