Friday, April 13, 2007

Economic Bee Hoon

One of my favorite breakfast growing up was economic bee hoon, wrapped in a waxy brown paper, and a glass of soy milk from the wet market. It's a simple, cheap dish, but till now, I have not figured out how to make it. I got some free rice noodles from work, so I decided to try the recipe from Tried & Tested Easy Recipes. It turned out slightly salty, so just use your own judgement on the seasoning measurements. The key is lots of oil! I added an egg and a spoonful of sambal chili.



1. Soak 1/2 packet bee hoon in warm water. Add 1 tbs each of dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil for bee hoon to absorb.
2. After half hour or more, drain bee hoon, but keep the liquid.
3. Fry 1 tbs garlic. Add vegetables/meat if you like. Do not stinge on the oil.
4. Add bee hoon. Mix well to let bee hoon absorb oil. If too dry, add some of the liquid that was used for soaking earlier.
5. Add 2 tbs dark soy sauce, 1 tbs light soy sauce, 1 tbs fish sauce, 1 tsp kicap manis (optional), salt and msg (optional) to taste. Please note these are all estimates, add according to your own taste.

~Ray

3 comments:

tigerfish said...

I'm with you.I miss my economic bee hoon!

simcooks said...

OMG! I love this! I call this "breakfast beehoon" and usually eat this with a piece of rectangular fried sotong (if you know what I am referring to).

Rasa Malaysia said...

Now I want my economy beehoon. I especially love those fried brown bean stick thingy...they are really icing on the cake! Man, I miss this...