Sunday, February 24, 2008

Bento Obsession

I recently came across the blog Lunch in a Box, and instantly became obsessed. When I was a child, my mom used to make us these elaborate bento lunches. I was the envy of my friends. But was I thankful? Heck no! I wanted to buy my own food in the school canteen. I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy it back then. Perhaps it was the room temperature food, since you weren't suppose to microwave bento boxes. Nowaways, they have such a variety of bento boxes, including ones that are safe to microwave. Today, I went to two Marukais in Torrance and stocked up on goodies.

bento

The result of my shopping spree.

bento2

Something to look forward to on Monday: onigiri, pork tenderloin marinated in Magic Dust, steamed sugar peas, and instant stuffings.

~Ray

2 comments:

bananami said...

I love Japanese bentos, too. I came across that blog too when I was googling for good mentaiko spaghetti recipes. So cute! Have you been to Kinokuniya? I usually end up looking at those bento books and ooh and ahh over the photos. There are a few times where I actually almost bought one. I knew that I wouldn't have the time to do all that work. How much did you end up spending on those bento supplies? I'm always tempted but end up talking myself out of it.

Hakka House said...

She has really great tips on freezing pasta and onigiri! I don't buy those bento books coz my Japanese is terrible =(

The bento box was $7.50, the cups were $1.50 for two. The soy sauce containers were $1.95, and the mini containers were $3 for a set of 3. It was much cheaper than getting the thermal kinds.

So, I read that you liked the Zentini!